July 19, 2012

Gone Girl


If you’re an avid reader like me, you probably eagerly await the crop of blockbuster novels that are released just in time to consume your summer months. I have a ridiculously long list of must-read books, and a well-used local library where it’s hard to rent new releases and even harder to manage wait lists so that I don’t have too many 2-week loaners at once. Thus, you can imagine my excitement when the stars aligned and a recently-released novel that I’ve been dying to read became available for checkout right as I was finishing another book.

In a nutshell, this is the summer book that you’ve been waiting for—the one with short, perfectly captivating chapters in alternating viewpoints that you can quickly devour, the one that keeps you guessing right up until you don’t want to guess any more, at which point it starts to scratch the itch for scandal that has only ever before been scratched by Keith Morrison’s overly dramatic Dateline specials. 

If you have ever found yourself getting caught up in a real life disappearing wife whodunit, where you contemplate complex scenarios of blame and closed-door conversations, and begin to wonder if your own thoughts are the byproduct of a highly-orchestrated media blitz, then I recommend that you add Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl to your own list of must-reads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment